What are sealants?
Why do we need to take x-rays?
What is fluoride?
- Fluoride is a substance painted on teeth to prevent cavities
- Fluoride is also in drinking water & toothpaste
- It is our best & cheapest cavity protection
What does oral health mean and why is it important?
- It is the overall health of everything in your mouth.
- If you have poor oral health it can affect your speech, self-esteem & appearance
- It also effects your eating ability &overall health
- Toothaches prevent learning in school.
What is an extraction?
- Pulling or removing a tooth
- This is a last resort – saving the teeth is usually best
Are baby teeth as important as permanent teeth?
- Yes, baby teeth are just as important
- They help child chew & eat a healthy diet
- Baby teeth allow the child to speak properly
- They are important for looks & self esteem
- Baby teeth hold the space for permanent teeth & prevent the need for braces
When should your child come for their first visit to the dentist?
- 1 to 2 years old – no later than their third birthday
- If the mother or older siblings have cavities, they need to be checked very early